Friday, March 4, 2011

Comment: Crimes Against Humanity - What's Wrong with the State of the World

OMG!
NAP! Totally NBD! NY1 can c typing letters is CWOT. U need to T+ about it :)
MBN living up there in your ivory tower, glaring down on us commoners! IS IT?

Yeah, it's pretty damn sweet up here!

That introduction was painful.
I'm GLAD to admit that I didn't know what some of those acronyms were. T+...what? Is there a new blood type? Are you contagious? Speaking in tongues (or should I say Typing in Thumbs - ZING!)? Be careful not to put that next to TB (TB T+? You have tuberculosis?!) I feel awful for all those people with dyslexia. This "lingo" must be a nightmare for them to use (BMN? You want blueberry muffins now? ).

And the worst - L8R. Why are you mixing letters and numbers? What is this, MATH?! Do I have to solve for "L" or "R"?

I don't know. This texting lingo could be this generation's shorthand. Maybe...? I'm surprised there hasn't been a surge in the field of stenography.

Okay, I'll come down from my ivory tower and admit I have been guilty of using these words, phrases, abominations of the English language. They are convenient when you're texting, especially if you have an older phone that doesn't have a full key pad. It can get tiring clicking through the keys for a letter. And if you over click...WOO! Just put the phone down.
My real issue is when people start using these abominations outside of their texting realm. I do NOT want to open my work e-mail first thing in the morning and feel like I'm at a Justin Bieber concert...but that's just me.


(On a side note: I was writing a paper once and Microsoft Word automatically transformed my punctuation into a little face. Yeah...I tried to type a colon and parenthesis and got a little smiley face. At first I just thought I used proper punctuation...but no. My punctuation was gone. It was like the computer was mocking me.)

I will say there is a slight glimmer of hope: BM&Y is at least grammatically correct (as short as it is). However, I'm surprised it's not BU&I (between you and I...why is it "Y" anyway? Hasn't society banished "y" and "o" in reference to the word "you"? Damn, does my brain hurt).




No comments:

Post a Comment